Thursday, July 31, 2008

Thompson Peak instead of Hidden Hills?

July 31, 2008 -- Jerry Bell and I recently received the following E-mail from Pat Ventura.

Jack and Jerry,

I suggest that we change the route of the Geezer and Extreme Geezer Rides to incorporate the Thompson Peak loop and the Taliesin loop and skip the problem area of Scottsdale near the Hidden Hills. Why should we expose ourselves needlessly to tickets when we can simply avoid that section of Via Linda and replace it with a darned good alternate route?

Pat

In a second E-mail Pat added:

I remember when we started the Geezer ride there was almost no bicycles at the end of Via Linda. At that time the “Hidden Hills” subdivision didn’t even exist. It is so different now, and the residents complain so much that we will definitely get tickets if we keep going there. Since Bell/Thompson Peak/Taliesin seems like an OK alternative, I hope we can make it happen. I really don’t need any bike tickets counting against my insurance and auto record.

I haven’t had a chance to discuss this with our esteemed leader, the right honorable Jerry Bell, but I think changing the route to Thompson Peak, at least for the time being, is a good idea. The distance freaks can always risk the wrath of the SUV-hugging Scottsdale upper crust and also add Hidden Hills to the ride, as we have often done in the past.

You can comment on this to Jerry (and me) by responding to this E-mail, or better yet, you can post your thoughts on the Geezer blog where all can read them.

Jack Quinn

No comments: