Monday, March 17, 2008

Parking at the Camelback Inn

Jack and the Geezers,
After last Saturdays ride (3-15-08) I had returned to my car and found a “Parking Violation” notice on my windshield. There was a notation that this will be reported to P.V.P.D. This is the third notice that has been left on my car. I had moved the location of where I have been parking so I wouldn’t be bothering the Marriott Camelback Inn. After receiving this recent notice I went straight to the resort lobby, wearing cycling clothes, to speak to a manager. I was very polite and spoke to a young woman that called Eric, the manager on duty. After the situation was explained to Eric he started to tell me that the resort couldn’t be liable for non guests to be on the premises and that they had to tighten security due to vandalism. I rebutted the conversation saying that the Marriott and the cyclists are both part of the local community. I explained to him that our group is made up of many local professionals that have always thought highly of there facility. That it was very well run, had courteous employees and that we valued their hospitality to let us meet in their parking lot. Eric then mentioned that his maintenance crew had found the restrooms at the tennis courts had been left in poor condition and that they had suspected that the cyclists had left it in that condition. I explained to him that we have good communication within our group and that I would pass on the information insuring that we would leave there facility in good condition. At the end of our conversation Eric had decided to discuss the situation with his supervisor and return a phone call to me in the afternoon. Eric did call me as promised and they decided to continue to allow us to meet and park at there facility. He said that it will be OK to meet at the tennis court as we have been and that the construction is completed in the south lot as well. Eric also had asked if it was OK with me if they kept my name and phone number as a contact if there were any further issues. I agreed. So hopefully no more “Parking Violations”.
So I feel that this is another step in the right direction with cyclists and the local community getting along. I hope that everyone will pass the word to try to leave the restrooms and grounds clean after there use. A good reputation can be a valuable asset to a resort such as the Camelback Inn. In the future we can pass on the information that the resort is friendly and well run to any visitors to the valley.

Ride safe, sincerely,
Mark Snell (Scott CR1)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

good work mark--a great model in representing our sport well and getting what you want!

d

Anonymous said...

Thanks so much for your efforts.
JMZ